Monday, October 28, 2013

Days 20 and 21: Gold Beach, Oregon, to Santa Barbara, California



Awaking in California, and getting back on the road to move deeper into wine country – the first thing I see on the freeway is a California Highway Patrol motorcycle officer, making a traffic stop.  And he’s wearing riding breeches!  CHIPS!

I’m headed toward Sonoma and Napa, and thinking I’ll have a late breakfast in some poncey little wine-country bakery-café with unpasteurized sheep’s cheese in quails’ eggs omelets with organically cultivated purslane.  Curiously, despite this ambition, when I see an El Torito bad-chain-Mexicali restaurant in a strip mall in Rohnert Park, I’m seriously tempted.  The first Mexican restaurant my suburban-Boston hometown ever hosted (it was actually in the next town over, by the entrance to the interstate) was an El Torito.  Ah, memories.

Despite the beauty of the day, blue skies and sunshine again, I consider closing the sunroof.  There is a strong aroma of fertilizer abroad.  And when I say ‘aroma,’ I mean ‘stench.’  And when I say ‘fertilizer,’ I mean the non-chemical kind.  You get that, right?  Little Macy is right when she says cows’ poo smells bad.  Plus, the 18-wheeler in front of me, which seems to be loaded with grapes in an open container, is screeching in agony every time it brakes, and on the side streets I’m hoping to find bursting with poncey little breakfast shops, there are many, many opportunities to brake.  But my hardy Yankee heritage wins out, as it so often does, and the sunroof remains open.  Yes, I am a tough guy.

I find a semi-poncey roadhouse with chickens’ eggs and a choice of Swiss or cheddar.  Breakfast is excellent, for which hunger is at least partly to thank.  This is not a great restaurant.  Then it’s back on the road to San Rafael.  On the way, I see a cement mixer with a bright orange, revolving tank painted with the San Francisco Giants’ logo.  My nephew is a big Giants fan (his dad’s fault; the good side of the family pretty much goes Red Sox), and if he were still five and into trucks, I would have followed that machine until I could take a photo for him.

Retirement living in Marin County

My dad lives in San Rafael, at 89 qualifying for an apartment in an active retirement community.  One of the places he is most active is at the breakfast table.  A night owl, he doesn’t wake up until about noon, so he’s ready to eat when I arrive.  His first choice isn’t open on weekends, but his far-distant second choice is an unexpected delight.  They stop serving at 2:00pm on weekends, and we arrive at 2:05 – but the owner invites us to order anything anyway, as the cooks haven’t cleaned up yet.  Dad spots eggs benedict on the menu, learns there are no more English muffins, and declines eggs benedict on toast.  He settles for scrambled eggs, sausages, home fries, two thick slices of house-made toast and two cups of high-test.  He does not finish all the potatoes.  That’s right, folks:  89, and this is his standard breakfast.  So we’re both thrilled with Eduardo’s – that owner is so nice – and Dad vows to return for those eggs benedict another day.  Probably tomorrow. 

When I asked Dad whether he still notices the impressive
views from his home, he talked about the architecture. 
He doesn't think highly of it.  "But the HILLS," I said.

View from traffic jam
I get more quality family time, with Dad and his wife, in the afternoon and evening, but press on south at night.  On Day 21, I awake in Redwood City, just east of Half Moon Bay, and with a convenient Jiffy Lube where I can change the oil three weeks after the car’s last oil change.  Since I do most of my driving on weekdays, in the middle of the day, I am currently spoiled rotten, and it does not occur to me that driving to the coast – driving to a renowned coastal resort town just south of the Bay Area’s many cities – on a bright, sunny Sunday is more or less insane.  The 13 miles of two-lane (one in each direction) Route 92 take about 90 minutes; a solid line of cars pointed west is literally parked at frequent intervals.  Two cars ahead of me, driver and passenger both get out, stretch a bit, and change sides at a stroll, and no one in the line cares at all.  They are not slowing us down.  In my notes I wrote, “The back-up is so bad it must be something more than volume,” but it’s not.

Closer to ocean - note cars on switchback, center right


And closer still
Fortunately, the view from the jam is lovely and soothing.  Watching the various greens – dark green and shaggy trees and shrubs in the drier parts; puffy and mid-greens near water – I am unconcerned by the sight of the road ahead, switchbacking downhill with cars creeping along, at about eight miles per hour, on every inch.  The smell is also soothing.  I think it includes ocean scents, but I may be deluding myself; there’s certainly eucalyptus and the cedar-y smell of the redwoods, and more.  There’s something in the mix, or maybe a combination of somethings, that smells like cloves.

Yard art, but not my yard, thank you.
Finally I am past the pumpkin patches and landscape-art stores of Half Moon Bay, and headed south on Route One, with ocean on my right and marshes on my left, exuding their muddy, low-tide stench.  The ocean is calmer than the Oregon one, but still keeps changing colors constantly according to cloud formations and the angle from which I see it as the sun strikes it, or doesn’t quite.  One moment it’s a cloudy indigo green (that’s a real color; it is); another it’s as blue and glittering as a star sapphire in a sterling mount.  I am wondering whether the ocean is more beautiful seen from this small distance, and low height, than it is when I’m on foot right there on the beach.  I think not, eventually; both perspectives are beautiful, though very different.

Route One seems less touristic than 101 did in Oregon.  The small towns along the road have more going on than serving vacationers.  For instance, several of them are clearly heavily engaged in serving surfers, who may be nomadic but also bring a sense of permanence, as a culture, that I don’t feel with the tourist population.  Santa Cruz is one of the bigger towns on my way, and a handy place to fill up with gas.  Since I’m stopped anyway, I get a sandwich at a bagel place and then head out of town – making a dramatic swerve when I see a sign for a chocolate shop boasting it was selected by National Geographic as one of the ten best in the world.  Richard Donnelly himself is staffing the shop, and we talk about La Maison du Chocolat, where he trained, and other makers (did you know LMdC is owned by Valhrona?) as he plies me with samples.  The cardamom is excellent.  I buy an ice cream sandwich concoction that would be better for a trip to Moorenko’s.   I think pretty much everything would be better for a trip to Moorenko’s.

This is just south of Carmel.

Past Santa Cruz, the view changes from ocean and beach towns to cultivated fields.  These aren’t, mostly, the corn and soy fields I’ve seen in the midwest and Washington; these crops are lower and bushier, and mostly green of various shades.  There’s an enormous field of something cruciferous growing right next to the ocean, and I suspect most of what I’m seeing are table-vegetable crops.  In Monterey the farm stands start:  kiwi or avocado, ten for a dollar; artichokes, too.  Oh, imagine paying a dime for the avocado that costs you two bucks on the east coast.

And glory, I do love how it smells around here.  Except, of course, when it smells like a very wet seal with a digestive disorder writhing in the mud of low tide, as for example around the Big Sur area.  That may not be Big Sur, though, but the nearby Esalen Institute, home of Gestalt therapy, which many people think stinks.  I am feeling pretty good about my own ability to maximize my human potentiality, so I keep driving.

I’m generally quite happy to keep driving today.  The road is interesting; the twists and turns keep me engaged with steering and the small towns require plenty of shifting as speed limits drop and drop again.  And the scenery is varied, and I’m always wondering what might come next, and I’m actually quite curious about what is causing this filmy schmutz that is coating my windshield.  Could it be salt spray?

About 7,500 seals live here at least part of the year.

This guy looks like the dragon/worm of the movie
The Lair of the White Worm, a very peculiar campy/
funny/sexually-bizarre/really bad Ken Russell movie.
And then... there’s a sign about seals on the beach up ahead, and I am quite, quite happy to pull over, slide into a parking spot and leap from the car into the gloaming (it’s been getting cloudy and cool for a while, and now the sun is getting serious about setting, too) with my camera in one hand and the telephoto lens in a pocket, and rush to the walkway that makes it easy to look over scores of elephant seals on the sand.  They are awkward and weird looking here, not the sleek creatures they seem to be in the pool at the aquarium, but wonderful.  A little boy walking up the boardwalk catches my eye; we’re both grinning.  “Whaddaya think?” I ask, and he answers, “Pretty cool.”  “Pretty stinky,” I say; “Yeah!”  “And really loud.”  “Yeah, really loud.”  “But great.”  “Yeah, really great.”

There are a ton more seal pictures here, plus a video.  Please forgive the peculiar few seconds at both beginning and end of the video.  I think it's the first one I've made with this camera.



Once it’s dark the seals get even spookier, and then back on the highway there’s a sign advertising scarecrows.  It has an arrow, pointing west, toward a clump of palm trees that look like scarecrows.  Their trunks are long sticks, topped with old palms that curl down and in to form a kind of stuffed-pillowcase ball, topped with the spiky hairdo of new palms sticking out and up.  I don’t know that they’d scare any known bird, though.  I reflect happily that as much as I enjoy seeing elk, or deer, or moose, at least with seals I needn't be afraid I might run into one on the highway.

I get a bit of a scare when a pick-up truck high beams me from behind while I’m passing an 18-wheeler.  I pull back into the travel lane as soon as I can, and the pick-up passes me, moving briskly.  About 15 minutes later I see it pulled over to the side of the road, in the company of a police vehicle with its blue lights flashing.  Oh, dear.

There’s a tiny bit of sunlight still left, off to the west, as I pull off at Santa Barbara.  It is backlighting the hills.  How kind of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment