Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Day 35: Sarasota, Florida to Savannah, Georgia

Sunday 27 October 2013 – I got bad news last night about the death of a member of my running club.  I didn’t know Bea well, but anyone could see her vitality and warmth from a fair distance.  She got sick a few weeks before I left Virginia, and I had visited her in the hospital.  Her prognosis at that point seemed optimistic, but she looked and sounded debilitated.  I hadn’t known she’d turned for the worse, so the news was a terrible surprise.  Talking to one of her daughters, who is about my age when my mother died, was disconcerting.  She sounded very slightly robotic, and I remembered that deep, shocking sorrow that left me numb and easily distracted for months 15 years ago.  Ignorant armies, the griefs we suffer and survive.  Disloyal lovers, disrespectful CEOs, ridiculous work are minor distractions when you remember that sudden plunge into the incomprehensible horror of mental freefall, and the cracking drop into a dark and frozen depth of mourning someone you love who is gone forever.

It held its wings out like that the whole time I watched it.
I  don't know why.  I hope it was for the pleasure of
feeling sun on feathers.



Sleep was slow to arrive on Saturday night, but the view from my bed Sunday morning had me up early, just to look.  The world was emerald and azure and golden, and the nieces born after my mother’s death were just a few days’ drive away.  I wanted to be up and doing, and drinking kale-based power shakes for breakfast.  With the shake glass washed, and many thanks and hugs and good wishes, I left A.K. and J. and pointed the Honda into a beautiful, breezy morning.







An hour and a half later, I pulled over in a parking lot and fell asleep in the driver’s seat, the first nap of the trip.

We get it, thanks.  South.  Moss.
The first leg of this drive was north and east across Florida, on a secondary road.  I saw horse farms and lots of them, and fields growing what looked like blueberries – but don’t they like a colder climate? – and probably landscaping plants; flowering bushes, short trees, hardy shrubs.  I think there are orange groves around here, but I didn’t see anything that looked like the pictures in juice commercials.  The Spanish moss continued everywhere, and in fact got more abundant.  And in fact got excessive, hanging from every branch like those fat tassels on the curtains in Victorian-style bordellos (as I have seen them in movies, that is); swinging from utility wires like ZZ Top beards.

In the early afternoon I pulled into a big public park, ready to picnic.  Turns out it was not a big public park.  There was a moon-bounce set up, but instead of a lunar landscape it was decorated as a sports arena, with all kinds of balls illustrated on its bouncy walls.  I moseyed about, looking at the playing fields and the not-especially-gracious garden design, and took a seat at a picnic table with the hummus A.K. and J. had sent with me.  A group of young men came into the park and started a game of catch with a football; oddly urban-looking adolescents for the environment.  They were all skinny, almost all wearing sleeveless t-shirts and below-the-knee shorts, and mostly wore their hair very short, like Eminem.

Not-especially-gracious, but nothing along this stretch
of highway seemed to be.
Another, smaller group crossed the grass and settled at a table near mine, and one of them came over to me.  He was heavier than the others, older and somehow calmer looking, with a soft, gentle face.  He asked whether I was okay, and what I was doing there, and I explained about the public park where I could picnic.  He explained that this wasn’t a park, but said it was all right for me to stay, and recommended that if ‘anyone’ asked what I was doing I should say I was waiting for ‘a visit.’  He closed by saying, “Just be careful,” as he walked back to his table.  After I finished my hummus, I stepped over to his table, thanked him for his help, and asked if he could tell me what the facility was.  It’s a rehabilitation center, he told me, but I thought it more tactful not to ask what kind of rehab.  As I drove away, I noticed the next building on the highway was called “Florida Youth Ranch.”


There were all these mournful notes in this day – A.K.’s family ploughing through leukemia, Bea’s daughters discovering mourning, boys needing to change their lives at 17, and this light, quiet note of letting go of ten years of love and grief that was with me, mindfully and not unhappily, throughout the journey.  This day, though, was as fundamentally happy, as thoroughly right, as the whole trip had been.  The universe and I were in sync, and I felt I was living as I ought, not according to anyone else’s needs or expectations or values.  That is the happiest feeling I have ever had, I think.  Certainly the most contented feeling.

More motorcycles with multiple riders and no helmets.  Where did I notice this before?  Montana?  I just looked back in this log, and it was Iowa.  That was three weeks and something like 16 friends ago.

I was really mystified at not seeing obvious orange groves.  The towns, post-Youth Ranch, were called things like Citra and Orange Heights, but I saw nothing that looked like my idea of citrus trees.  Maybe I just didn’t recognize them; the first time I saw a grape vineyard I was surprised by how short the vines were.  Maybe the orange trees were screened by the mossy oaks.  The median strip and highway sides were speckled with little white flowers I liked.  I wonder if they have a scent, and if they help pollinate the theoretical orange trees.

Outside Jacksonville, I was struck by a particular landscape:  a flat river winding through wetlands edged with pine.  The track of the river, its reflection of the trees and sky, the graceful stolidity of the marsh edging it, reminded me of a river view from the highway near my childhood hometown.  Once, driving across that river in a van full of high school debaters, one of my classmates called out, “Hands up whose mother thinks this is the most beautiful view in the world,” and most of the hands went up, accompanied by girls’ laughter.  I don’t know about the others, but for me it was a ridiculous revelation that my mother wasn’t a solo weirdo in her affection for that simple scene.  In Florida, a clump of palm trees by the river broke my reminiscence.  We did not have those in suburban Boston.

I mean this seriously tongue in cheek:  as I crossed into Georgia, another small note of sorrow emerged into the day.  The welcome sign noted that the state is the home of the 1995 World Series champions.  Like, in 2013, that’s what the sign says.

There are a lot of wetlands in this northeast Florida/southeast Georgia area.  Lots and lots.  The marsh grasses remind me of the prairie grasses of South Dakota, without the deranged wind.  They’re different colors, too, which may be the grass or the season or both.  They’ve got less green, more yellows, and lots of purples.  The lack of wind emphasizes their rootedness in mud and ooze; their stolidity.  The prairie grasses certainly didn’t seem ethereal or ephemeral, but they had more of those qualities of the wind element.  Marsh grass is a little water and a whole lot of earth.  I suppose both of them sometimes catch fire.

The Inn had hosted a wedding the day I arrived; smokers
got the courtyard.  It still smelled.  But so beautiful to see!
Driving into Savannah, a city renowned for its grace and eccentricity, I got to tour the every-small-city, dingy-townhouse and garbage-strewn alley section, reminiscent of the outskirts of Chattanooga, Camden, Richmond.  It’s a useful grounding in reality.  I appreciate the romance of the road, but I revel in the sanctity of truth.  If I had to choose just one, no contest.

After checking into the upscale B&B that my credit-card points got me, right on Forsyth Park, I walked through the lovely historical city, through parks and past gingerbread houses and by statues celebrating a lot of very martial people.  We tourists clustered along the Savannah River, where we could gaze northwest and see a modern seaport with a lacily industrial bridge, and look southwest and see candy and postcard shops, and sit down and listen to Walter Harris play guitar and sing.  He was in ‘Forest Gump,’ apparently, and his voice is surprisingly quiet.  Walking the mile or so back to the hotel, I thought the city surprisingly quiet overall.  I expected more parties and music.  Maybe not on Sundays...

Seaport and elegant bridge.

Walter Harris by the river.

No comments:

Post a Comment